Sunday, December 26, 2010

This Week's column

Breathe in Christmas
http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/content/breathe-christmas
Christmas decorating hasn’t been as exciting this year as in years past.

The outdoor lighting has been minimized; it seemed more of a hassle than enjoyable. But part of this year's décor includes a few simple window candle lights.

At night, I turn off the lights in the house and let the warm glow of the window lights and the lights on the Christmas trees fill my home.

I noticed one night while watching Masterpiece Classics on KET that this gives my house a nice old-time Christmas feel.

Surrounded by the antiques that fill my home year round and the flickering glow from the lights, my mind was transported back to Christmases of decades past. The Victorian feel of the show I was watching probably helped that mind set.

Then my mind wondered instantly to my affection towards the novels of Jane Austen, Charles Dickens and the like. I thought of what Christmas might be like if it were truly by candlelight, under the deep night of a sky uninterrupted by streetlights and electric hums.

On many nights I cuddle up under my UK blanket with my trusty Labrador curled at my feet and just sit at the window and watch it snow in the glow of the window light.

If I had a fireplace I would have used it to hear the slow crackle of the fire and feel the warmth flow through the room.

I thought of a time when a simple piece of fruit or a handmade gift brought joy to those on Christmas morning. When the day truly was more about being with the people they loved the most rather than the elaborate nature of a gift.

Popcorn and handmade ornaments filled the tree and the fresh smell of evergreen welcomed the morning. I can almost smell the popcorn popping over the fireplace now.

It wasn’t a race to get to as many places as possible. And when families did visit, it wasn’t for a few short hours. They stayed together in each other's homes and the time stretched for days rather than hours.

Even though the temperatures have dropped outside, the more I continued to think about it the warmer I felt.

With the advances in technology and the speed of life, we often find ourselves as a culture thinking the best times are now. Sure, I like modern convenience the same as the next person. But at Christmas it would be nice to sit back, enjoy the moment and slow down a bit.

I find myself so busy with the “things” of Christmas that I don’t have time to reflect on the true meaning. To some that means family, for others the celebration of the end of a year leading into the new one.

But Christmas for me is about something more.

For me it’s about the birth of Jesus and everything he means to me. I get so caught up in getting the right gifts, making sure the house is decorated, getting the cards mailed and going to parties that I don’t take the time to stop and reflect why I am celebrating the holiday to begin with.

So I’ve tried to make a pact with myself to take some time during this season to just sit and be still. To quietly reflect on the reality of a birth that changed my history.

To sit in the warm glow of the lights with a warm cup of coffee and a dog curled at my feet, enjoy the feel of the past and reflect on life and what Christmas means to me.

My wish this Christmas is to take a moment to breathe in the spirit of Christmas. To slow down and not get caught up in the business and stress of the season.

Everyone do it together now. One, two, three ... breathe. Doesn’t that feel better?

Have a merry and calm Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment